|The Hortorium was given to Cornell
University by Liberty Hyde Bailey in 1935, including 140,000 herbarium specimens of
cultivated and economically important plants from throughout the Western Hemisphere,
Europe, and China.
The Wiegand Herbarium at Cornell was founded in 1869, and emphasized native and naturalized flora of central New York, the Northeast, other portions of North America, and the Old World.
In 1977, the two herbaria were combined into a 660,000-specimen collection, rich in both cultivated and wild material. Since that time, the collection has grown to ca. 860,000 specimens.
Several botanists have been important to the study and collection of wild and cultivated plants that are represented in the BH Herbarium, including the following: